30 August 2011

what door?

A few years back, I went on an Ontario "Family & Friends" visit.  Pretty much, everyone that I knew in Ontario, I visited over the course of 14 days.  Pretty packed as I spent time with every person (!) but pretty awesome as I was able to go from T.O. to Ottawa to Missasauga to Hamilton to North Bay and Sturgeon Falls...

One day that I was in Hamilton, while my Aunt and Uncle were at work, I got up to some serious people-watching (guilty!) and curious wandering about.  I thought I had covered major distances until I plotted it on the map.  When you look on a map to see how far you have walked, it can be discouraging after walking for nearly 9 hours straight and only covering the distance of a few inches!  It was just on the fringe of fall and there were so many colors and old, interesting things to photograph on that sunny day.  I kept noticing a trend of aged houses that had their front doors painted differently than the next.  It wasn't until I was almost half-way through my trek that I started to photograph them...









Currently, there are some significant changes on the horizon for my work ... altering ideas exist,  but no actions have yet taken place.  My role will be changing again and certain dynamics of the company will be formulating from our big meeting this Thursday.  I am excited of the potential that this position holds, but I am also fighting inner "creative" concerns.  Although it can be exciting and new, am I limiting myself to not thinking past this one opportunity?  Am I really working towards my goals, my path, my direction?  

Right now, I am more than blessed to have this job and am so thankful for all that I have learned within it.  But, it's like I've reached the point of, "With the skills that I have and am interested in attaining, this may be as far as I can go here."  I feel it very difficult for me to see outside of the "building" and perimeters that I have put up for myself creatively and industrially during my day to day life ... it's like an entrapment and dissatisfaction of my own doing.

While skimming through old photos and trips previously taken, when I again saw these snapped doors, I thought to myself, "If only these were opportunities.  Colorful, whimsical, classy, stylish, yuppy, and trendy...what if I had the choice to walk through the one I felt like, when I felt like it?".  That's when it hit me...there can be no doors that bound me to stay inside and no doors that will lock me out of entering!  EVERY day, I have been given the choice (by privilege and freewill) to select the door of my choosing.

In a previous post, I talked about how there are opportunities waiting to be had ... right in front of us.  As long as we have our eyes ready to see these portals, I believe God will reveal them to us.  Visually, these doors remind me that I need to take a walk to look outside my own agenda and invite the adventure in and just not day-dream about it.  There is so much out there waiting to be discovered that I need to capture, analyze, and appreciate before I settle on a specific doorframe.

If or when you think that you are trapped within a certain perspective, rut, job, or attitude, seriously, just take a look around you.  Opportunity is not limited to one entrance, with a certain style or framework...

What door do you walk through today?  What door(s) exist around you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well those are lovely doors... and I wonder what exciting thing is going to happen as you open each of them!

sarah nadine said...

sara k~i should hope something just as lovely would be on the other side!! can't wait to one day own a front door to dress up and create and cause wonder for the onlookers to have after encountering my fromt door;)

xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails